As the holidays draw near, it’s easy to start thinking: “How am I going to eat right? What about a consistent exercise plan?”
At Farrell’s, we provide you with the training to remain on track. Staying focused on nutrition and exercise will keep you accountable to your later goals.
You can start developing healthy habits today by trying a free week of fitness classes at FXB Bellevue. Here are a couple of other hints to help you navigate the coming season while still pursuing your goals.
4 Helpful Tips to Navigate the Holiday Season
1. Set Your Alarm Clock
Complete your workout immediately when you wake up if your schedule permits it. The last few months of the year are busy, but it’s better to check your workout off your to-do list—instead of telling yourself you’ll make it up tomorrow.
2. Plan Your Meals
It’s easier to plan your meals a few days beforehand, instead of making unhealthy decisions when you’re hungry and without a dinner plan. Our Simple Meal Plan makes grocery shopping and meal planning easy. Contact us to receive your copy.
If you’re eating out during the weekend, change your meals the other days to keep your nutrition as balanced as possible.
Related: 6 Reasons Why Farrell’s Nutrition Works
Sample Weekday Meal Plan
Here’s an example of an everyday meal plan you can customize:
- Breakfast: healthy protein shake
- Lunch: nutrient-filled salad with fresh veggies and protein
- Dinner: chicken with a salad, acorn squash or sweet potato
Here’s an easy brined chicken recipe from AllSpice Culinarium in Des Moines.
You only need two ingredients:
- One whole chicken
- All Spice Brining Mix (half packet)
- Boil 3 cups of water in a small saucepan. Stir in a half packet of the brining mix and boil until the crystals dissolve.
- While you are waiting for the brine, rinse the chicken under cold water. Put the chicken in a large stockpot with cold water and ice until the chicken is fully underwater. Pour brine into the stockpot and stir to evenly distribute.
- Cover with a lid and refrigerate overnight. The following day, rinse the chicken before roasting it.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rest the chicken in a roasting pan, breast side up and brush olive oil or butter over the chicken. (Optional: Stuff with celery and onion.)
- Bake uncovered for 75 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. Toward the end of baking, broil your chicken if you like it browned.
- Remove from oven and let the chicken rest for 15-20 minutes.
You can also follow this recipe to make your Thanksgiving turkey. If cooking turkey, use the complete packet of brining mix.
3. Take a Cozy Break
Grab your favorite blanket, find a comfortable spot and take a nap. A 30-minute nap is reinvigorating and helps you remain healthy during the busy holiday season.
If you need help sleeping, check out the Calm app. You’ll rest calmly and wake to a pleasant chorus of birds, not an irritating phone alarm.
4. Enjoy the Season
Don’t forget to find joy in the upcoming busy season.
- Schedule a dinner with friends
- Lower your daily stress by spending time on Sundays meal planning
- Relax when you need it
Build Healthy Habits Today with FXB
Now is the time to begin building healthy habits to carry you through the holidays. At Farrell’s Bellevue, we’ll instruct you on nutrition, exercise and more. Get started now by claiming your free week of classes with us.